Thursday, February 13, 2014

Fabric manipulation


       For the first manipulation, I was inspired by my hairpin and my shoes which have very fluent and beautiful curves. So I want to create a fabric manipulation using curves. 
      First I use two piece of fabric and sew them together using sewing machine, then I draw curves on the fabric. After that I sew on the curves that I drew using sewing machine. Finally I use scissor to cut out the top piece of fabric following the curves that had been sew. 
     I thought it would comes out with beautiful curves, but actually it didn't work well. Because the fabric was just flat on the bottom piece rather than turning up as I had thought. So I use thread and needle to sew the peak part of the curves to create the final piece.


      Because there were many flowers factor in my beautiful objects: the hairpin has flower on it, the earrings are in the flower-shape, the illustration has flower with the girl, and my container also has flower on it. Therefore I want to create a fabric flower using the manipulating technique.
     I also use two piece of fabric to finish this manipulation piece. I cut a long piece of muslin, and folded it in order to create a fine edge for the flower, and then I sew the folded muslin and gathered it. After gathering the fabric, I connected the head of the fabric with the tail using thread.  Then I cut a larger piece of fabric with the same length but a larger width and did the same thing to it. But this time I attached this larger piece to the smaller piece that I've done before using thread instead of connecting the head with the tail. 
    After doing that, I got a flower. But the shape of the flower was a little bit random and I wanted it to be more beautiful, so I use thread and needle to sew to adjust the shape of the flower.


      This manipulation is getting inspiration from the bracelet that made from vintage clock parts. I think the gear in the clock piece is very delicate and like like the sharpness of the teeth on the gear and I also think that the way that the gears combine together is very fanscinating. So I use triangle to represent teeth on the gear and position them orderly. The only problem I met was that this piece was more time consuming than I'd thought.


No comments:

Post a Comment